Monday, March 3, 2014

An Oldie but a Goodie

I’ve had this blog for several years now, and I thought over

that time I had shared all of the rugs I’ve made, but by searching

the blog I discovered I have never shared this rug.

IMG_3656

(you can click on the rug to see it larger)

Kenny used to collect Smokey Bear and I made this rug

for him as either a birthday or Christmas present, I can’t

remember which. I do remember that I hooked it on the sly,

so as soon as he would leave for work on Saturdays I would

pull this rug out of the trunk of my car and hook like a mad woman

while he was at work and then store it back in the trunk before

it was time for him to be home.

It’s hooked from mainly recycled wools, I

remember that his cheeks are from a Pendleton shirt and

the shovel is from a few blazers. The bluejay is also from

a Pendleton shirt. Funny, how it can be YEARS ago and yet

I can still remember these odd bits of trivia about a rug hooked

so many years ago.

I was new to dyeing and I dyed the mustard colored wool in

his hat and also the green background.

It’s been in our bedroom for years in front of the

TV cabinet.

IMG_3658

Oh yeah, this was hooked in the days before I had a proper

frame….it was hooked entirely on a quilting hoop!

7 comments:

  1. Tammy it is absolutely adorable!!!!! Don't care what wools you used as they made it look terrific, besides we all use recycled wools even as seasoned hookers. And with a hoop no less?? OMG, I used a hoop for a very small project and couldn't take it any longer and had to find something to hold the backing.
    It was a labor of love and am sure your hubby still loves it.

    Saundra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saundra, Thanks! I remember all too well prying that hoop on and off of the rug....YIKES! So happy to have the Puritan now!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen that! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that rug, you showed it either done or nearly done on the yahoo group or maybe your old site you hosted years ago? I think I got my dawling to get a bunch of smokey stuff for your husband one year....we did an exchange or something...Christmas think it was? Still looks good! And yes, I am ready for spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindy, Wow girl, you've got a great memory....perhaps I showed it on Wool Snippets back in the gold ole days. I do kind of remember a Christmas exchange....I've gotten so many cool things from hookers over the years and I can't always remember who I got them from. Heaven help me when I get even older!!

      Delete
  4. I love that rug for an older rug your hooking was wonderful!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete